Resilient doesn’t even begin to describe Tami Edwards. At 35, she was diagnosed with cancer and told to ‘make arrangements.’ In that moment, Tami knew that she had one shot to make her life the very best she possibly could. She beat cancer, but life wasn’t done challenging Tami just yet—and her family’s construction business collapsed in the aftermath of the housing crisis. She found herself working in her husband’s grandparent’s liquor store, making $10 an hour and struggling to pay the bills. Just a few years later, Tami is a local celebrity, and she is killing it in real estate. How did she do it? By building a brand through media.
Tami is the co-owner of Team Bjorkman, the #1 HomeSmart team in the country. A true expert in Santa Clarita Real Estate, Tami is known for putting her clients first and hustling to get the job done with integrity. Tami is also the co-host of SCV Today, a show she conceived to promote local nonprofits and give back to the community. In 2016, Tami was named Woman of the Year for the 38th Assembly District for her passion and commitment to serving the Santa Clarita Valley.
Today, Tami sits down with me to discuss the trials and tribulations she endured when her family’s construction company went belly up. She explains why she was willing to take low-paying jobs at the newspaper and Chamber of Commerce in order to build relationships with people of power in the community. Tami describes how her idea for SCV Today led to a bond with Mike Bjorkman and a career in real estate. Listen in for Tami’s insight on giving back to the community, establishing trust through authenticity, and creating media around your brand.
- How Tami lost everything when her family’s construction company collapsed
- Why Tami took low-paying jobs at the local newspaper and Chamber of Commerce
- How Tami’s local TV show to promote nonprofits gave her instant credibility
- How Tami’s rapport with Mike Bjorkman led to joining his real estate team
- How being a local celebrity allowed Tami to make $36K in her first 90 days in real estate
- Tami’s willingness to hustle, working 12-hour days for 72 days straight
- How Tami’s authenticity on camera establishes trust with the community
- Why Tami and Mike don’t talk about real estate on SCV Today
- The immense value in creating media around your brand
- How Tami has developed relationships with nonprofit boards and dignitaries
- Tami’s insight on the value of giving back to your community